An apple a day keeps a doctor away – Research and facts to prove this age-old adage
There’s an old proverb which says, ‘An apple a day keeps a doctor away’ and most of us are familiar with this age-old adage. But what is it that makes this fruit so very special? Are there really too many health benefits which are associated with apples? Apple is one of the most highly cultivated and consumed fruits in the entire world and they are always considered as a “miracle food”. In fact, apples were ranked as among the top 10 healthy foods. Apples have extremely high levels of antioxidants, dietary fiber and flavanoids. The antioxidants and phytonutrients in apples might reduce the risk of developing fatal diseases like cancer and some other diseases like diabetes, hypertension and heart diseases. If you’re eager to know the multiple health benefits of an apple, here are some that you may consider.
- Enhanced neurological health: As per a study published in the year 2006, it was found out that quercetin is one of those antioxidants which is abundantly found in apples and it was also one of the 2 compounds which helped in reduction of cellular death which is caused by inflammation of neurons. One more study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease suggested that the consumption of apple juice may increase the production of acetylcholine in the brain which results in enhanced memory. You can use an apple sorting machine which can help you sort out the best apples.
- Prevents possibilities of dementia: A study which was published in 2008 in Journal of Food Science revealed that eating apples might have a positive impact on your neurological health as well. The researchers have seen that including apples in your regular diet might safeguard your neuron cells against stress-induced neurotoxity and it can also play a vital role in decreasing the possibilities of developing any neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lowers your bad cholesterol levels: A handful of researchers in the Florida State University said that apples are nothing but miracle fruits. They revealed that older women who took apples regularly had 24% less bad cholesterol and 4% more good cholesterol. The result was seen after consuming it for 6 months.
- Reduces possibilities of stroke: As per a study which included 10,000 men and women, it was seen that those who kept taking apples for a long span of time like 30 years had the lowest risk of stroke. The researchers also revealed that consumption of apples is related to low chances of thrombotic stroke.
- Wards off breast cancer: There are growing suggestions and researches which reveal that an apple a day keeps breast cancer away. Increased consumption of vegetables and fruits including apples provides people with more phenolics which have health benefits.
Hence, if you don’t want to spend your old age running behind doctors and physicians, keep having apples and green vegetables. Don’t allow the doctors to make money through your sickness. Stay strong and keep having apples.