Do Drinks Affect My Teeth?
Many people think that only sweet drinks affect your dental health. However, various food items cause damage to your teeth enamel and this eventually results in teeth erosion. When this happens, the shape of your teeth changes and this gives rise to problems such as infection or cavities and that’s when you need to contact your Colorado Springs Dentist.
Effects Of Teeth Erosion
Teeth erosion is a permanent condition and you will start to experience the following effects:
- Discoloration of the teeth and yellow tinge forming
- High sensitivity when consuming hot, cold or even sweet drinks
- The quantity and quality of your fillings have changed
- Cavities have increased in the mouth
- Start experiencing tooth loss
Tips To Avoid Tooth Erosion
There are various things that you can do to avoid tooth erosion. These include:
- Not brushing immediately after eating. You should wait for at least an hour till you brush your teeth. This gives your saliva the chance to wash all the acids and harden your enamel once again.
- Avoid acidic beverages. If you cannot avoid it, then you should use a straw to consume it. This will avoid direct contact with the teeth.
- Do not let any cold or sweet drinks sit in your mouth for long. You should sip and swallow such drinks quickly.
- If you have consumed any acidic beverages, then you should rinse your mouth with water or drink milk right away. You can also eat a piece of cheese as this helps neutralize the acids in the mouth.
- Saliva helps to keep the acids under control. To increase saliva flow in the mouth, you can try and chew sugarless gum.
Visit your dentist in Colorado Springs regularly. Your dentist will explain to you the effects your nutritional choices have on your dental health. The advice provided by your dentist will help your natural teeth stay healthier and whiter for longer.