5 Common Infections in Older Adults
Infectious diseases are characterized as illnesses that are caused by harmful organisms (pathogens) which can get inside the body from surroundings or even other infected humans. Pathogens that cause infectious diseases have been classified into viruses, bacteria, fungi, parasites, and prions. As seniors age, their bodies don’t function like they used to so getting infected by other people, bug bites, and even from contaminated food, water, or other objects will make them fall sick.
We are the best luxury senior citizens’ homes in India with a team of round-the-clock caretakers to look after your health and well-being. You might be aware that different types of infections can cause different symptom in some seniors but not others which are basically due to different factors like overall health and fitness conditions. However, there are some typical, familiar signs to look out for as common infections in the elderly.
- Frequent headaches
- Fever Chills
- Muscle aches
- Sore throat
- Loss of appetite
- Common cold
- Pneumonia – 60% of seniors over 65 get admitted due to pneumonia. It is one of the most lethal infections for the elderly population in India and poses a greater threat to senior citizens than to the younger population. Common symptoms are reduced lung inhaling capacity and a weak immune system resulting in poor diet and physical health. We are the most reliable Luxury Senior Citizen Homes In India with dedicated F&B specialists who create nutritious senior-specific diets to keep infections at bay.
- Influenza – Influenza, and pneumonia when combined is one the leading cause of severe medical conditions for the elderly in India. As seniors age, they are likely to undergo a weakened immune system and multiple medical issues which can cause severe complications in the body especially due to influenza, such as pneumonia. And since influenza is likely to spread to others by coughing and sneezing, the risk of getting contracted such infections increases in closed environments.
- Skin infections – Seniors are much more likely to develop skin infections because of the declining ability of the skin to heal itself and resist common kinds of disease. Common skin infections among seniors include:
- Bacterial or fungal foot infections are prevalent due to diabetes.
- Drug-resistant infections, like Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
- Viral infections like herpes zoster and pressure ulcers
- Urinary tract infections – Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are said to be the most common cause of bacteremia a type of infection most common in the elderly. Major signs of UTI include sudden changes in behavior like confusion or deteriorating dementia condition which could also be its onset. Make sure you get yourself checked by expert medical practitioners and caregivers at the best Luxury Senior Citizen Homes In India who can offer 24/7 guidance and support to avoid such infections from happening.
- Parasitic infections – The number of elderly has been increasing globally, and as a consequence, the number of geriatric health problems has also been on the rise including parasitic infection. Older patients are more vulnerable to such infections than the younger population and sometimes being in nursing homes can also trigger these infections.
That was a detailed list of the infections most common in the elderly population in India. Make sure you take preventive measures, consult with your doctor timely and consider taking medications when required to avoid infections from spreading.