SHOULD I UNDERGO FUE OR FUT FOR MY HAIR TRANSPLANT
For a layman, understanding the intricacies of hair transplantation process can be quite daunting. Add to that the fact that there are multiple techniques, and this can cause confusion in the processes. As you look for the best hair transplant surgeon in Bangalore, let’s understand the different techniques, so you have clarity on the hair transplantation process.
There are two techniques involved in hair transplantation.
- Follicular Unit Transplantation or FUT: In this method, the hair is taken from the back of the head or commonly known as the donor area, in a single strip, which is then sutured closed.
- Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE: In this method, individual grafts are extracted from the back of the head or the donor area. This does not require any sutures.
What is the difference between FUT and FUE?
Both FUT & FUE are excellent techniques of hair transplantation & can provide excellent results. The major difference is seen in the donor area. Here’s a comparison in the two techniques to understand the difference properly.
|Heals with a single linear scar 1-2mm wide
|Heals with multiple small dots which are nearly invisible
|Healing takes 10 days
|Healing takes 2 days
|Suture is used
|No suture needed
|Donor area not trimmed, suture hidden
|Donor area hair is trimmed
|Larger sessions are easier
|Larger sessions are tougher
|Slightly more expensive
|Possible in weak hairs
|Difficult in weak hairs
Which is the better method of hair transplantation?
Now that we have established the differences between the two methods, let’s look at which one is better suited for your needs. Since both the methods can provide excellent results, there’s no one significantly better method.
If the recipient area is small & can be covered in one session i.e. needs lesser number of grafts, we advise our patients to go for FUE, as it can avoid the scar formed by FUT.
However, FUE, is not the ideal process for large number of grafts, as the donor area can look thin. Therefore, in cases of large number of grafts, of giga sessions, a combination of FUT & FUE is performed to provide great results. Any of the two techniques can be used depending on several factors like;
- Donor Area
- Receiver Area
- Cost/Budget Constraints
- Scalp thickness
- Scarring in the donor area
Our recommendations based on these criteria would be:
- Do you have the budget for FUE? If Not, go for FUT
- Are you bothered by the linear scar? If Yes, go for FUE
- Do you want it to be painless? If Yes, go for FUE
- Do you need a large session with more than 2500 grafts? If Yes, go for FUT
- Are you thinking of a second session later? If yes go for FUT now, and FUE later
However, there are some factors that can cause problems with the selection process. For example:
- If the scalp is very thick or the hairs are fragile, FUE may not be possible and we may have to go for FUT.
- Often, a combination of both methods might be needed to obtain the necessary number of grafts.
- Extracting more than 3000 grafts is risky with FUE. This can cause low density in the donor area, leaving no viable grafts for a second sitting.
A good hair transplant surgeon will be able to understand you needs & properly guide you to the appropriate process. So please ask questions to understand the basic details like intake time, procedure duration, what to do before transplant, & what to do after, and any other that you might have.
A well-done hair transplant can change your life drastically, therefore we recommend extensively searching for the best hair transplant clinic in Bangalore before going ahead with your surgery. Also, be sure to understand the doctor’s expertise in both the procedures so the surgeon does not push you into selecting a specific procedure.